TOP ACADEMIC COACHES AND TUTORS FOR OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
Academic Coaching Specialists are here to help the Polar Bears this semester! We provide the top academic coaches and tutors for Ohio Northern University students.
What Exactly is Academic Coaching?
A coach’s job is to teach or train someone how to achieve a goal (win). Good coaches demonstrate how hard work and practice will produce results when game time comes. They also inspire and motivate their team every step of the way. After a loss, a coach will pick their players back up and let them know what they did wrong and what they did right. Leading to the next game, the coach will craft a plan and communicate it to their players, so that they will understand how not to repeat the same mistakes. They teach new strategies and hone skills, finding just the right place for each player on the team to perform their best.
We are familiar with the role of an athletic coach in these ways. What an academic coach does is not much different. Academic coaches provide personalized support for their students, geared towards developing critical academic skills, while providing encouragement, accountability, motivation, and building self-confidence.
Why Does Academic Coaching Work?
At ACS, we are familiar with what Ohio Northern University students experience throughout their academic career and the transitions and changes that occur. Students may find that what they had been doing is no longer working in this new environment. Or they are facing new challenges that feel overwhelming. Focusing on these key challenges allows us to provide the right support at the right time. This is stepped accordingly to allow the student to develop the intellectual skills as well as the confidence they need to build successful habits that yield results.
How Does it Work?
- Our process involves closely matching students with a mentor who will offer guidance, encouragement and accountability.
- Students meet weekly with their coach and review key concepts that are key to their success in college.
- Our coaches are passionate, lifelong educators who are highly skilled at helping students work through their emotions while tackling the challenges that can act as a barrier to their academic success.
- Working one-on-one with a coach will provide the necessary support for students to understand what it takes to manage their time in college.
- Students will improve focus and learn how to study and take notes to get the most benefit for each class.
- Coaches will help your ONU student identify the steps and strategies to effectively prepare for exams and write papers.
- Together, student and coach will discover ways to change any bad habits of the past, and identify positive strategies to get results.
- ACS coaches provide encouragement and inspiration throughout the entire semester.
Should Your Student Use a Tutor, Coach or Both?
Tutoring services can help Ohio Northern University students with a particular subject or challenging concept. On the other hand, academic coaching can cover a more comprehensive area of academics, including things like time management and study strategies. Academic coaching introduces learning tools and strategies that create successful habits, leading to increased efficiency in the classroom and beyond.Tutoring and coaching are not mutually exclusive and can be used together to create a strong support system for your ONU student.
NEARLY 1/3 OF COLLEGE FRESHMEN DROP OUT BEFORE THEIR SOPHOMORE YEAR
WHAT TYPES OF STUDENTS DO ACADEMIC COACHING SPECIALISTS WORK WITH?
At Ohio Northern University, we work with high-achieving students, average students and students who just need extra support. Whatever level your student is at is the right place for them to start! Working with an academic coach can address and strengthen areas of concern, while also sharpening their areas of success. Here are a few groups we most commonly work with:
Students Taking Online Courses
We can help your ONU student acclimate to and even optimize the virtual learning environment by:
- Assisting with organization of time and materials. These are key factors in the ability to be successful in any course, but especially online courses.
- Providing added support and accountability for students to gain an understanding of expectations and help following through.
- Being there as a resource, to answer questions, and anticipate common issues to help students prepare for and work through any challenges.
- Helping to balance workloads. Often when taking courses online, students tend to over or underestimate the amount of time it will take to accomplish tasks. An ACS Coach will help set limits and parameters that allow students to create a balance that works.
Athletes who are struggling with eligibility issues are another group our coaches frequently work with. Academic Coaching Specialists are familiar with NCAA guidelines and can help your Ohio Northern University student monitor their standing and progress toward degree (PTD). Working with an academic coach throughout their athletic career can ensure they will not miss out due to issues related to academic eligibility.
We find that the best approach to academic coaching is a proactive one. Freshmen starting or continuing their first year are our most common clients. Starting from the top, we work with students on what they already know from high school and build on those skills to create an even better college experience. ONU students who start their freshman year with academic coaching find they are much more prepared and ahead of their peers. They are also less stressed and discover more free time to enjoy non-academic activities.
Students on Academic Probation
Ohio Northern University students on academic probation can take part in our Academic 911 program. In this program, coaches will identify the immediate problems, and find the quickest way to get the student back in good standing. Further, students will learn how to avoid potential issues in the future and break any bad habits of the past. They will make any necessary referrals for tutoring or other campus resources as appropriate. ACS is a full partner in helping your ONU student get back on track!
WE PROUDLY SERVICE OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS
BOTH IN-PERSON AND REMOTELY.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
What Our Students Say
” The program has geared me up for success not only in the classroom but also in life. Having a dedicated plan day in and day out has helped me achieve so much. With the help and guidance from ACS, I was able to graduate college (which I never thought could happen) and have helped me land my dream job right out of college! Thank you ACS!! “
” I was able to improve my test scores, improve my overall grades and even make dean’s list. I also gained a new mentor, coach, and friend. I am using the skills I learned through ACS daily in my career such as planning, focusing, and prioritizing my tasks each day. “
” I struggle with time management and I have learned that I need accountability to finish and reach my goals. Having someone who cares about my success, offering tools and strategies to get there, has been crucial for my professional and personal development. I am so grateful for this support from ACS in this journey. “