ACADEMIC COACHING VS TUTORING FOR STUDENTS AT CAL POLY
Academic Coaching Specialists are riding in to help the Mustangs this semester! We provide the top academic coaches and tutors for Cal Poly students.
Tutoring services can help students with a particular subject or challenging concept. On the other hand, academic coaching can cover a more comprehensive area of academics, including things like time management and study strategies. Academic coaching introduces learning tools and strategies that create successful habits, leading to increased efficiency in the classroom and beyond. Tutoring and coaching are not mutually exclusive, and can be used together to create a strong support system for your Cal Poly student.
What Exactly is Academic Coaching?
A coach is someone whose job is to teach or train someone to achieve a goal. Every successful athlete, entertainer, political figure, or business mogul have all been coached to get to where they are. Athletes especially use coaches to help them develop the physical, mental and technical abilities needed to outperform their competitors. Academic coaching provides one-on-one support for students, geared towards developing critical academic skills, while providing encouragement, accountability, motivation, and building self-confidence.
How Will it Work?
At ACS, we are familiar with what students experience throughout their academic career and the transitions and changes that occur. Focusing on key elements that are well-established as tricky areas for navigation allows us to provide the right support at the right time. This is stepped accordingly to allow the student to develop the intellectual skills as well as the confidence they need to build successful habits.
Our process involves closely matching students with a mentor who will offer guidance, encouragement. and accountability. Students meet weekly with their coach and review key concepts that are key to their success in college. Our coaches are passionate, lifelong educators who are highly skilled at helping students work through their emotions while tackling the challenges that can act as a barrier to their academic success.
- Working one-on-one with a coach will provide the necessary support for students to understand what it takes to manage their time in college.
- Students will improve focus and learn how to study and take notes to get the most benefit for each class.
- Coaches will help your Cal Poly student identify the steps and strategies to effectively prepare for exams and write papers.
- Together, student and coach will discover ways to change any bad habits of the past and identify positive strategies to get results.
- ACS coaches provide encouragement and inspiration throughout the entire semester.
NEARLY 1/3 OF COLLEGE FRESHMEN DROP OUT BEFORE THEIR SOPHOMORE YEAR
Is Academic Coaching Right for Your Cal Poly Student?
We work with high-achieving students, average students and students who just need extra support. Whatever level your student is at is the right place for them to start! Working with an academic coach can address and strengthen areas of concern, while also sharpening their areas of success. Here are a few groups we most commonly work with:
We find that the best approach to academic coaching is a proactive one. Freshmen starting or continuing their first year are our most common clients. Starting from the top, we work with students on what they already know from high school and build on those skills to create an even better college champion. Cal Poly students who start their freshman year with academic coaching find they are much more prepared and ahead of their peers. They are also less stressed and discover more free time to enjoy non-academic activities.
Students on Academic Probation
Cal Poly students who may find themselves on academic probation can take part in our Academic 911 program. This academic coaching program is designed to address the immediate problems in order to get the student back in good standing. Further, students will learn how to avoid potential issues in the future and break any bad habits of the past. Coaches will identify any individual problems, making any necessary referrals for tutoring or other campus resources as appropriate. ACS is a partner in helping the student get back on track.
Students Taking Online Courses
At Academic Coaching Specialists, we can help your student acclimate to and even optimize the virtual learning environment by:
- Assisting with organization of time and materials. These are key factors in the ability to be successful in any course, but especially online courses.
- Providing added support and accountability for students to gain an understanding of expectations and help following through.
- Being there as a resource to answer questions and anticipate common issues to help student prepare for and work through any challenges.
- Helping to balance workloads. Often when taking courses online, students tend to over or underestimate the amount of time it will take to accomplish tasks. An ACS Coach will help set limits and parameters that allow students to create a balance that works.
Athletes who are struggling with eligibility issues are another group our coaches frequently work with. Academic Coaching Specialists are familiar with NCAA guidelines and can help your Mustang monitor their standing and progress toward degree (PTD). Working with an academic coach throughout their athletic career can ensure they will not miss out due to issues related to academic eligibility.
WE PROUDLY SERVICE CAL POLY STUDENTS
BOTH IN-PERSON AND REMOTELY.
CAL POLY STUDENTS CAN HAVE A ``PERSONAL TRAINER`` FOR THEIR ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE!
Top athletes have trainers and coaches to help them reach their potential. Putting an academic coach in your corner today can ensure you will have the support needed to get through even the toughest semester.
- Our coaches are experienced educators, not peers
- We earn trust by demonstrating our methods work in real life
- Coaches don’t just respond to a student’s needs, they anticipate them
GOOD. FIT. GUARANTEED.
Our coaches are dedicated to providing an exceptional experience that is custom-tailored to the individual needs of your student.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
What Our Students Say
” The program has geared me up for success not only in the classroom but also in life. Having a dedicated plan day in and day out has helped me achieve so much. With the help and guidance from ACS, I was able to graduate college (which I never thought could happen) and have helped me land my dream job right out of college! Thank you ACS!! “
” I was able to improve my test scores, improve my overall grades and even make dean’s list. I also gained a new mentor, coach, and friend. I am using the skills I learned through ACS daily in my career such as planning, focusing, and prioritizing my tasks each day. “
” I struggle with time management and I have learned that I need accountability to finish and reach my goals. Having someone who cares about my success, offering tools and strategies to get there, has been crucial for my professional and personal development. I am so grateful for this support from ACS in this journey. “